Holy Trinity Lutheran Church is celebrating its 150th anniversary… a tribute to the congregation!! Through the years, the members of Holy Trinity have made themselves a cornerstone in this community by praising God, loving one another and serving others.
For 15 decades, thousands of families and individuals have called Holy Trinity their home. Imagine the things they did to support one another and serve this community … the various groups and committees they participated in … the numerous events and activities they hosted and attended.
Holy Trinity is planning a year-long celebration to recognize this historic milestone. It will kick-off June 17, 2018 to correlate with the first worship service held for 25 Lutherans on June 15, 1868 … and conclude June 23, 2019 to correlate when the congregation officially became known as the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity and Rev. Ruthroff was installed as pastor on June 21, 1869.
This celebration has been 150 years in the making and is our way to pay tribute to those who came before us and helped to make the congregation of Holy Trinity what it is today!!
To share even more information about the people who helped shape Holy Trinity’s 150-year past, there are ‘History Notes’ included in the monthly Highlights newsletter as well as in the weekly Yellow Pages. These special sections include photos, articles and historical tidbits. Click on the links below for a glimpse into Holy Trinity’s past.
|February 2018||March 2018|
|April 2018||May 2018|
Founded by Akron notables John F. Seiberling, Charles Miller and J.H. Hower in 1868, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church has been home to many of Akron’s prominent business and civic leaders. The church’s present structure was built in 1914 in the style of Europe’s French gothic cathedrals, with intricate hand carvings and beautiful stained glass windows. Franklin A. Seiberling, the founder of The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, was a major influence in the construction of “The Little Cathedral on the Hill” at Park and Prospects Streets, while completing the construction of his new mansion, Stan Hywet Hall, Akron’s Tudor masterpiece. The magnificent pipe organ was originally a gift from the Seiberling Family, and today the expanded instrument is used by world-renowned guest artists during Trinity’s Organ Recital Series. Although many pastors have served Holy Trinity, the senior pastor from 1929 to 1944 was Dr. Franklin Clark Fry, known as “Mr. Protestant” in national religious circles. In 2013, the congregation celebrated "100 years, One Foundation," to mark the centennial anniversary of the cornerstone laying of the present structure. As part of the celebration, a time capsule, sealed inside the cornerstone since June 22, 1913, was located, recovered and opened (see video link & contents list below). In 2014, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the sanctuary, the congregation dedicated a new time capsule, and sealed it into the floor in front of the altar.