Old Trinity

Founded by Akron notables John F. Seiberling, Charles Miller and J.H. Hower in 1868, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church has been home to many of Akron’s prominent business and civic leaders.  The church’s present structure was built in 1914 in the style of Europe’s French gothic cathedrals, with intricate hand carvings and beautiful stained glass windows.  Franklin A. Seiberling, the founder of The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, was a major influence in the construction of “The Little Cathedral on the Hill” at Park and Prospects Streets, while completing the construction of his new mansion, Stan Hywet Hall, Akron’s Tudor masterpiece.  The magnificent pipe organ was originally a gift from the Seiberling Family, and today the expanded instrument is used by world-renowned guest artists during Trinity’s Organ Recital Series.  Although many pastors have served Holy Trinity, the senior pastor from 1929 to 1944 was Dr. Franklin Clark Fry, known as “Mr. Protestant” in national religious circles.

 

Cornerstone Video